Sunday, July 15, 2012

Am I excited?

"Aren't you excited?" I'm asked, although it seems to be more statement than question.  Truth?  At this point it's a mixed bag.  The letting go I talked about earlier is not easy; downright tough.  Excitement is balanced with sadness and fear, as I anticipate leaving what is known for what is unknown.  I don't mean to appear unappreciative of well wishers, or sound self pitying, after all, I put myself in this situation. Just wanted to let you know at this time, these mixed up feelings are all part of the journey!  I'm in a swirl of activity with sorting, packing, and moving.  So many details to take care of.  This is what I wake up thinking about.

No one said adventures were easy.  Adventures are full of surprises. When I signed up for this adventure, I didn't think it would be easy.  I saw it as a personal challenge.  I'm breaking my safety rules to find out who comes out at the other end.  Why?  I have to.  I just couldn't go on doing the same-o same-o without knowing why / what for.  So this is it. My adventure.  No matter what happens, I turn 80 with some great stories to tell.  And thinking about that makes me feel excited!

Why can't I just settle down and be content with my wonderful island teaching job?  Great friends?  My comfy rental in this marvelous island community?  The people here are the best.  So what's with this streak of restlessness that won't let me feel at peace with myself?  With kids grown up and out of the house, and being single, I just can't sit still.  So I decided not to sit still.  Gonna fly while I can!

My piano moves to Maureen's house today where it will be played, and loved and cared for, expertly.  Thank you Maureen!  Just found the ad for my van on Drewslist.  We bought this van in 1999, 3 growing children to fill it up.  You know how it is. Cars are full of memories too.  I hope to sell it, and say good bye.  Not quite as hard as the Pepper good bye.

Change is coming fast now.  Erik and Trevor moved Erik's bedroom furniture / belongings into the van for delivery to his dad's storage in Lynnwood.  Another good-bye, but as islanders know, getting off The Rock can be exciting!


I'm beginning to dread good byes.  Do we have to have them?

Today's TO DO list:

Pharmacy:   Fill prescription; 90 day supply
Get 2 locks for the storage container.
U-Haul:  Get mattress covers and more boxes.
Freeland:  Repair ding in windshield.
Call Herb: Questions about IRA contributions while in Beirut.
Get bid for help packing the storage container.
Pack Linen and Den closets.
Call Friends: Need HELP!

10:00  Steve moves piano to Maureen's house
Noon:  Meet with Melissa for French conversation lesson.
1-3:00 at NW Language Academy:  Help with French Camp
5:30 pm:  Meet with Erik and his dad to drop off Erik's furniture.

WOW.  Full day.  Let's get to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment