Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Two Years, er "Weeks" Today!

I made that slip up earlier today.  This change of life has been profound.  But now I'm getting the hang of it.  Jet lag is a thing of the past. Rule of thumb is one day for each hour, and I've got to say that it was a 10 day adjustment.  I am sleeping through the night. Noticing the street noises less, i.e., no more earplugs.
Most importantly, I'm SEEING for the first time.
If you read an earlier post, you noticed that I talked a lot about the uneven walkways... it's true. You've got to watch your step! There was so much to take in on those first days, but the walkways were all I could process.  Now, I'm seeing so much more.  I'm seeing that THERE ARE TREES around us!  I'm seeing the colors of the fruits and veggies!  I'm seeing the beauty of the architecture, and the expressions on the faces of the passersby.  When I look up, I see balconys decked with trees and plants. I see old next to new.  I hear the sounds of cars beeping, little motorcycles (vespas), and construction, especially jack hammers.  High rises are going up everywhere. Smells can be good and bad... just remember to hold your breath as you pass a dumpster.
Actually, I really enjoy talking with shopkeepers and the people I meet every day. They are polite and helpful, and most speak some English.  I feel very safe, although I do keep my eyes open.  Honesty has been prevalent.  I've had storekeepers carefully count out my change, then do it again to explain the new money system to me.  I have been treated respectfully wherever I go.  I feel accepted and welcome.

In fact, it is beginning to feel normal. At first, I only saw the differences. I go to the market on the corner to pick up bottled water. I walk to the green grocer for fresh veggies.  I can make my way to the Corniche, the walkway along the Sea, and circle back to my flat without using a map!  I still get turned around, but it's not scary or inconvenient, only interesting.  You never see the same thing twice on these roads.  The little shops are crowded together.  Each doorway is the opening into a new world!  When you enter a shop, you never know what you'll find!  Every bookstore is unique and offers a wide array of reading material in Arabic, French, and English.  I've discovered a little market that specializes in natural foods!  Another I go to for fresh or roasted nuts.  I pop into the cell phone shop to ask how to lock the keypad on my little Nokia.  I pass a coffee shop and converse with the shopkeeper in French!  What a crazy, amazing world this is!

No comments:

Post a Comment