Friday, August 17, 2012

Orientation begins

 Today opened many windows.  First of all, met a lot of great people "my people" at school's orientation for the newbies. We are 30 new staff out of 260 total!!  Second, visited pools along with 8 others who all are interested in swimming here!!  The first one is a private gym next to our home bldg, but the pool is in a basement 3 stories below ground level, and 84 degrees warm.  It has the Les Mills Body Pump classes I've liked, which are all underground, and costs $85 per month.  The second is at American University of Beirut, which is next to our school, and we're waiting to hear what they'll propose as an ACS group rate.  The pool is at ground level, 25 meters, also 84 degrees, and has a large gym which is shared with students when they return to school in Sept.  I just like the above the ground pool with windows.  It was very hot inside the gym, but natural light.  When students return, it will be very crowded...and will cost upwards to $100 a month.  Well, there are trade offs.  The best part?  Finding so many others who want to swim!!!

Went to the grocery and bought 2 gorgeous avocados for 3000 LL, or $1 apiece.  Lunch yesterday cost $12,000 each, $9 each.  1500LL = $1  I'm getting the hang of it now; divide total in half, then add half the remainder more to that, then divide by 1000... getting it very slowly, but at least have a method. Today I'm feeling better!  Staying awake until dinner back at school.  We have been invited to go out for drinks (beer, wine, or?) after the dinner is over.  Don't know if I can stay awake that long... best to stay up as late as possible in the hopes of sleeping thru the night.

They came, but evidently didn't fix the AC today.  Tomorrow, we're told. They did fix my broken toilet seat; new one installed.  YIPPEE! We have to leave our keys again with the concierge in the morning.  What's one more sweaty night?

My Dad is having a pacemaker implanted tomorrow.  He'll be rocking to a steady beat!  Wish I could be there too.  Liz is keeping me in the loop, and passing out the hugs.

Eyes keep drooping, hands jerking, head nodding... Some of you know the feeling!  I hope sleep has finally caught up with me.  I slept 4 consecutive hours last night, 3 the night before, you see the pattern.  But tonight?  I'm going for a BIG 6+ hours!!!  Jet lag is a drag!





1 comment:

  1. Carolyn
    I am proud to know you! Stay the course, learn a lot and above all, have fun! Jo Moccia

    ReplyDelete