Friday, August 3, 2012

Blue Gloves

At SeaTac yesterday I was in the security line, barefooted, and waiting for my HEFTY backpack, sandals, sweatshirt, and purse bins to come down the conveyor belt... There was a delay, and then my bin was carried to me by a uniformed official who asked, "Is this yours?"
"Yes it is. Can I put on my sandals now?"
"No!  You may not touch anythng in this bin! .... Anything sharp or metallic in this bag?"
"Tweezers?" I suggested, puzzled.
He shoved his blue gloved hand into my toiletry bag and aggressively rifled around.  Out came, of all things,  my red Swiss Army pocket knife!!  "Look at this!" he announced.
"Oh my gosh, I didn't know I had that in my bag" I said, looking up into his face. Unexpectedly, I had a double take!  There was a Bright Blue smear running across his upper lip and cheek!
"There's something blue on your upper lip", I reported, helpfully.
He quickly swiped at his lip, then looked at his gloved hands, and noticed that blue gooey stuff was all over them!  We both looked into my toiletry bag and saw the toothpaste cap open with blue toothpaste tracked around inside.  I had to giggle.  He began wiping his face with his other hand.
Then he asked "Do you want to send it home?" waving the pocket knife just out of reach.
"Is it the one with the corkscrew?"
"Yup! and a punch and some blades."
"Yes!  I do want to keep that."
"Well then, follow me!"  and he lead me backwards through the line, setting off two alarms along the way.
"This is exciting!" I laughed.
He led me to a kiosk entitled:  SEND IT HOME.  I filled out the paperwork, added $9 to the envelope, and dropped my package into the drop hole.  Back to the security line I went.
This time through, my backpack was pulled from the conveyor belt.  A shampoo bottle was pulled from its depths.  "You can keep it", I said quickly.
When I emerged from security, sandals on, a major sigh of relief was due. I gratefully headed to B8, Southwest Flight to Oakland, with a fresh round of giggles over blue gloves and toothpaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment