Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sea Turtles!

Saturday, August 24
Has it already been a week?  Been in school with staff 4 days.  One more week to prepare for kids.

Saw a huge sea turtle come up for air after I'd toweled off and dressed from a salty Med swim, Wednesday. Since then have been dreaming of swimming with turtles!  Began my turtle search Thursday and was quickly rewarded. Saw two!  The first time I was so excited I surfaced and announced "Turtle!" to those in the water near me. One guy swam over quickly and but then dove down to grab the turtle, splashing and chasing after it until turtle made his escape. Jerk! I was fuming mad!  Next time I find a turtle, I'm keeping it to myself.

Sure enough, saw my second turtle, a smaller one, a little while later.  He was swimming just a meter below the surface, moving slowly out to sea.  I floated along above him.  His shell was covered with green shaggy algae, barnacles and all.  Then he tilted his head to look up at me. We met eye to eye.  I was very excited, very still, and noticed his beautiful dimpled skin, green/blue and spotted. I followed as he continued to swim slowly away. Wonderful!

More to come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment