Saturday, August 31, 2013

Looking Back

"This is where it used to be," Phil indicated a modern looking apt building, built on the site of the former US Embassy, the one that was destroyed by Jihadi extremists back in 1983.  63 people died; Americans and Lebanese.  I will be walking past this corner every day on my way to school. It is located on the Corniche, in full view of the Sea.

I felt my stomach tighten, eyes begin to burn, as I passed the white apt building the next day, Monday.  "It happened 30 years ago," Phil said.
"It seems like there should  be a memorial here; something to remember the lives lost."
"If they did that, every street corner would have a memorial on it!" I had to agree with Phil.
That evening, I decided to get into Google and find out what happened.
The suicide bombing of the US Embassy was on April 18, 1983, 30 years ago.  I would have been 30 years old, married, and a new mother. I remembered the photos and news.

I also found what I was looking for: an on line Memorial commemorating the Americans who had died in Lebanon.  The caption read, "They Came In Peace".  The memorial covered Lebanon's war years, 1974 through 1992.  Names were listed sequentially by dates.

In another section I read about what happened to each person who was kidnapped or killed. Names popped out, like Terry Anderson and Terry Waite.  I reached 1983, and scrolled through names of those who died at the US Embassy bombing.  But the list didn't stop at 63, it went on and on and on, all names ending USMC. Then it hit me; the marine barracks were bombed a year later. 241 American soldiers lost their lives.  Scrolling down the list of names was so very sobering.  I had to scroll twice, just to take it all in.  It took a while.

I realized that during this time in Lebanon's history, Americans were targets for the anger of extremist groups. It didn't matter WHO the American was, or WHAT he / she did. It was all about capturing Americans. Why?

Wikipedia:  The original reason for the hostage-taking seems to have been "as insurance against retaliation by the U.S., Syria, or any other force" against Hezbollah, which is thought responsible for the killing of 241 Americans and 58 Frenchmen[7] in the Marine barracks and embassy bombings in Beirut.

Yes, I knew about the rocky history of Lebanon before I came here, but reading about this again, here, felt very different.

Do I still want to be here?  Yes!  Yes, I want to be here.  If for no other reason than to live the truth that LIFE IS GOOD.  Even in a place that continues to experience so much sadness and violence.  Life goes on, and at heart, 99% MOST people are kind and caring. These are the people I see on the street, in the sea, in the shops, every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment