Friday, August 23, 2013

Home Sweet Home

July 10, 2013
"Prepare for reverse culture shock!" Marguerite warned.  I admit I was a little worried about "coming home" to the states.  For one thing, I didn't have a house, a bed, or a car.  I would have to depend on friends and family.  Maybe I did all my adjusting ahead of time, for the arrival to Seattle was nothing but gorgeous and delightful: tall green trees, Mt. Rainier, blue sparkling water and skies, clean streets lined with tidy homes. Everything looked great!  It was an easy transition for me.  I was reminded of what drew me to Washington state in the first place.

Reverse culture shock?  I was motivated to cook my first meal after the 30 hour trip for my daughter Kate and her roommate Jenny. The result for me was a night in the bathroom; never felt that sick in Beirut! Afterwards for several days there were stomach-y moments, but that was the only "shock" my system experienced. When I arrived on Whidbey Island, I picked up a rental car and drove nostalgically along the winding roads to Karen and Paul's house in the big woods.  They offered me a place to stay for 3 weeks, my own bedroom and bathroom.  It was perfect!  I rejoined my buddies in the swimming club, and met up with as many old friends as I could.  I  participated in earth friendly activities thanks to Karen, who is a serious composter, line dryer, and recycler. They were installing solar panels as I was there.  All in all, I'm grateful to have such wonderful friends!

Next 3 weeks were in California.  I roosted at my sister's darling little house in Healdsburg.  From her place it's a straight shot into downtown Healdsburg, a large plaza lined with palm trees, including bandstand and water fountain; a beautiful town.  We're swimming with the masters team at Liz's health club.   "That workout was tough, but I enjoyed it," I commented to coach Carol.  Her reply: "If it were easy everyone would be out here doing it!"  She might be right....  Gee but I love swimming.

Currently we are in Bodega Bay, staying in the large house Dad rented.  "We" includes cousin Gordon and Bonnie, Cuz David and Michael, Theo and Dad, Susan and Bro. Jake, Melissa, and Tommy, Sis. Liz, me, and 4 dogs.  We are playing wild 8-handed games of Rummicub, this summer's game!  So fun.  The beach is beautiful and windy, whitecaps stretch to the horizon, but the sun is shining.  Son James buses up from San Francisco tomorrow and I can't wait to see him!

All in all, it's been a marvelous homecoming.  I head back to Beirut for the second year of my contract, teaching grade 4. Yep, I am going back to Beirut with eager anticipation!  My new 2 bedroom flat awaits; looking forward to moving in.  "Then what's next?"  My answer: I don't know. If teaching goes well and Lebanon holds firm against outside pressures, I could opt for a third year in Beirut. Other choices are to search for a new job abroad, or return to South Whidbey and pick up where I left off. Nothing is clear at this time.  It's an open road! 

No comments:

Post a Comment