Friday, June 22, 2012

What I'm learning about Beirut...

I've learned Lebanon is tiny!  I'm told you could drive its complete circuit in 8 1/2 hours.  It is tucked under Syria (oooo!), and north of Israel. Some maps still read "Palestine".  "If you have a passport with Israeli stamps, you must replace it before your arrival", I read in the school's information packet. Wow.  The border between the two countries is heavily barricaded and guarded; no gate in the fence?  I'm told the only way into Israel is through Jordan.  Israel got fed up with Hezbollah (of southern Lebanon) lobbing bombs over the border, and struck back in 2006, bombing and occupying parts(?) of Lebanon for a couple of years(?). This did not help mend relations on either side.
Meanwhile, Syria to the north and east is involved in a horrific civil war which seems to have escalated over the past year.  When I first came home from San Francisco I began watching news on CNN, but found it so disturbing, that I stopped.  This began a series of emails to the school in Beirut asking "What's going on over there?"  Replies suggested that the news here in the US is "exaggerated".  That didn't stop my queries, especially after I read the US State Dept advisories discouraging travel to Lebanon.  Their reply? That the US State Dept operates from an extremely conservative stance when it comes to Lebanon and the Middle East in general.  In her email, my new principal explained it this way:  If the US State Dept put out a No Travel Advisory every time someone pulled a gun in the States, would you stay home?

The local news from Beirut is very positive, even encouraging:  "We hiked in the Bekaa Valley last weekend; beautiful area.  We're hanging out at the outdoor coffee houses; wonderful.  Mediterranean food here is out of this world!  Problems in Syria are not spilling over into Beirut as your news would tell you."  I felt better hearing this, but will stay tuned.

What else have I learned?  It's a gorgeous part of the world and dates back over 2000 years, to the time of the Phoenicians. Beirut sits between the Mediterranean to the west, and snow-covered mountains to the east. (Snow and water sports; NICE!) The main language is Arabic, but they also speak French (Merveilleux! My college major!), and English. Beirut is referred to as "The Paris of the East".  It is a city of 2 MILLION people (dense!).  You will see the occasional woman in her berk a (sp?), but you will also see women fashionably dressed in the latest designer clothes.   I've read that the night life is big in Beirut.  It gets hot in the summer, same latitude as Southern California, but humid.  The school is tucked in next to the American University of Beirut, comprising a stylish area called the Hamra District, known for its many restaurants and fascinating shopping areas.  My school is a block from the Mediterranean, and the Corniche, a wide paved strolling path that runs along the sea.  You can take a virtual tour on Google Earth:  American Community School (ACS in Beirut).

ACS assures me that safety comes first. Should anything change, I will be notified.  They do have an evacuation plan, but have never had to use it.

Finally, I'm told, "You will love Lebanon.  Its people are warm, friendly, and welcoming.  Keep packing!"

Much more to learn!  Please pass on anything you can add.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing Carolyn! What a beautiful area; so close to the sea and the green belt of the University! I will be learning a lot from your experiences. Thank you for letting me be an armchair traveler!!!

    ReplyDelete