Sunday, June 24, 2012

New school and home...

The American Community School is a K-12 school of 1000 students and about 160 staff members. Most of these students are Lebanese, as are the teachers. There are a few foreign teachers, some newbies like me.  There are three 4th grade classes taught by Lucy from England, Arij, I presume of Lebanon, and myself.  Lucy is my designated "buddy" teacher.  She's been busy answering my many questions:
How's the climate (hot in summer!)
Will I meet bugs in the kitchen (No, but school fumigates for cockroaches once a year)
Tell me about wildlife in Beirut (a great number of feral cats in the city!).


My first vision of Beirut was a bit off key.  I'd heard that the power goes out for anywhere from one to several hours at a time, daily, so asked how they manage.  Reply?  The generator kicks in and you don't even notice. (Well, that beats Whidbey Is!) I'll never forget my principal's response to my first queries about electricity shortages and water pollution:  "Carolyn, this is not a hardship position."  Whew! Surviving will be easier than I thought, but Hey!  It's all new to me!


I'll live in a flat that is within walking distance of school.  It's on the 4th floor of the German Evangelical Building.  There are other teachers in the building, but teachers are scattered in buildings all over the area.  There is not a teacher's dorm, or anything like that.  I will live in my own flat complete with kitchen, sitting area, bedroom, bathroom and balcony.  It is furnished with everything, from knives and forks, to furniture and linens. "Sorry, no microwave or toaster."  I've read that traffic is noisy and constant; all day and night.  This will be a contrast to island living! I'm trading Pepper and bird calls for honking and sirens.  Ah, the adventure of it all!!!

 Below are pictures Lucy sent of an apartment similar to mine.

IMG_0099.JPG


IMG_0101.JPG


IMG_0102.JPG


IMG_0103.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment