Thursday, November 7, 2013

October High!


October was a blur of events.  The high point was Kate's visit!  She arrived in Beirut on Thursday for a 12 day visit.  We had a week to explore and experience this amazing city and country. It's just a 15 minute walk to downtown Beirut from my flat. We visited the Al Amine mosque, former President Hariri's memorial, and enjoyed coffee with pigeons at Place de l'Etoile. We taxied to Harissa, Byblos, and later hired a driver to get us to the Jeita Grotto. We also hopped a tour bus to Baalbek and spent a day among ruins over 2,000 years old. Most surprisingly fun? Our night at Brick having drinks, talking, and eating quesadillas together at the bar.  I'll never forget it.

My daughter was equally amazing.  Her first day here I had to teach, but she went out exploring and shopping of her own.  First to Starbucks for coffee, then up into Hamra area where she bought a dress and necklace. Wow. Not what I expected, but I am so proud of this girl!

To tell you the truth, it was hummos that did it.  Upon her arrival, after a fruitless 3 hour delay at the airport looking for a missing suitcase, we sat down at my kitchen table. I pulled out the pita and Bassam's hummos.  Kate was hooked from her first taste; described it as, "Drop dead delicious!" Well, I couldn't put it better myself.
  

Kate and Carolyn in Beirut
We kept busy those 12 days; traveled by foot and taxi everywhere. I admit that with Kate at my side, I had no trouble flagging a taxi.

It was a mother's dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment