Friday, March 8, 2013

Teachers' Day!

I have a day off today because it's "Teachers' Day!" celebrated by students and teachers across Lebanon. Thursday resembled teacher appreciation back home.  On this day students bring flowers and cards and wish their teacher "Happy Teachers' Day!".  The school has a strict "no gifts" policy, but I was loaded down, going uphill, with a bouquet of red and white roses, more flowers, cards, and even brownies. Parents chased us out of our classrooms so we could enjoy a 40 minute duty-free luncheon they provided, my first lunch with all staff this year, and I've NEVER seen so much food. Three sides of the auditorium were LOADED with main dishes and salads, beverages, and desserts. We were encouraged to eat lunch, and fill take home containers.  My lunch today?  Shrimp curry with rice, tabbouleh, fresh strawberries, and tiramisu!

Yesterday evening I enjoyed "Unplugged", a talent show put on by the high school students.  They set up the outdoor stage and grassy seating area with tables and chairs.  Twinkly tree wrapped lights were the backdrop for student waiters who carried trays of food and drinks from table to table for the audience.  Some "acts" were sound tracts with students singing.  There were many excellent voices and instrumentalists (violin, piano, guitar...)!  I sang "Don't Stop Me Now" with the ACS Community Choir.  The surprise of the night for me was another act in which high school band director, Jeremy Chapman, fluttered out tunes on his jazz flute; WOW!  We've got talent!

At 8 pm the night was still young.  I literally RAN up the hill-bluff-stairs to my flat, changed into my leopard top and dance boots, then ran down the stairs-bluff-hill back to ACS to catch the happy bus to the Teacher's Party.  The miracle was that I made it by 8:20!  We were taken to Harbor 102, a nice restaurant-bar located on the other side of downtown Beirut.  The whole place was reserved for us! We were given drinks (red wine for me), hors-d'oeuves, and dance music.  Here in Lebanon, EVERYONE gathers on the dance floor.  It's amazing!  It's not about partners, it's about meeting up and shaking your booty!  We danced solo, then rotated to dance with a partner, then another rotation to laugh, and dance with someone else.  I enjoyed the dancing so much, thinking, "These are my people". They must have felt the same, because we were all moving, laughing, smiling and copying each other's moves.  About 9:30 pm a live band joined us with a Pavarotti type singer (male), a jazzy female singer, guitar, violin, drums, and keyboards. They were excellent, and I was sober enough to know. Dinner didn't come out until 10:30.  After eating and trying to hear each other talk, we were back on the dance floor. Then back to the canned music, laser lights and video clips, non-stop; one song morphing into the next, Lebanese style madness.

The partying didn't let up until about 1 a.m. when the music settled down in cadence and volume.  Outside, my ears were clogged after the 4+hour assault.  Some of us took taxis home, but a number of us woke up the bus driver who dropped us off on Bliss Street, close to our flats.  After good night hugs, Lolita, Bill, and Linda were off singing, "Follow the yellow brick road", while Josie and I headed back to our flats at the German building for shoes off and bed.

Enjoyed several rounds of French press coffee this morning, Skyped with sister Liz, watered the plants, and decided it's time to get back to blogging after nearly a month of hibernation.  Beirut LOVES its night life!  And I'm LOVING my vacation morning!



No comments:

Post a Comment