Friday, October 5, 2012

Your apples, Miss...

      It was Wednesday and I was free after school.  My watch band had given out, so I asked Hasmig where I might find a replacement. She described a shop "just up the road from the Plaza Pharmacy". Oh, those directions! It's always a challenge to follow them. You see, street names hardly exist, especially on all the tiny side streets.  We use landmarks to describe destinations.  For example, just today I asked Lucy if The Backyard restaurant we visited last night was up the road from "Bubbles".  She knew exactly what I was talking about, because we pass a sign that says Bubbles on our way home from morning walks.  "Is it past the Hummus guy?", further refining the search. Yes, she answered; "same block".
       Well, I found the Plaza pharmacy and stopped in to get a prescription filled.  From there, on to the jewelry shop.  What I did find, was a very small shop, a hole in the wall, you'd say.  The man there, working at his counter, came to the door to let me in.  "No English" he said.  I showed him my broken watch band.  "Oh, know good man," and described to me in English and Arabic the name of a shop that was next to a perfume shop, and pointed toward Hamra.  Smarter than usual, I asked him to write the name of the shop for me, which he did, in Arabic.  Off I went with my paper.  I got to Hamra and walked in the direction he'd indicated.  I showed my paper to a shop keeper standing in her doorway.  She pointed to the corner and waved a left turn. A ways down that street I showed my paper to another shopkeeper, who waved ahead, "See blue? (a dumpster) There!"  I walked another 20 yards, and sure enough, "Daoud"was printed on the window.  The jeweler buzzed me in.  (Jewelers keep their doors locked until they size up the customer.)  I showed him my watch band.  He pulled out a box and I pointed, "black one, please!"  "That'll be 10 dollars." (= to 15,000 Lebanese Lira).  Lira notes are small and easily get lost in your bag or purse.  As I pulled out bill after bill, up to 12,000 or $8 worth, the shop keeper said "Good! Enough!"  "Shukleen! (Thank you!) I said, surprised, and out I went, happy to wear my watch again.  I was feeling pretty successful!
       On my way home, I decided to stop at a vendor's cart and get some apples.  They looked like golden delicious; fresh from the tree.  "6 apples, please" I said.  The vendor carefully chose six nice ones. "2,500" ($1.50) he said.  As I was searching through my bag, a young girl was suddenly beside me, body space of no consequence, speaking Arabic and pointing to my purse; a street beggar.  My instincts were saying don't do it.  She was persistent, and shockingly so.  I scrambled around in my bag for the apple money, for the smallest bill I could find, feeling that I didn't want her to see anything larger.  I handed a 5,000 note to the vendor, who handed me change; 2-1,000 notes and a 500 coin.  The girl by now had her hand on my wrist.  I dropped the coin into her hand, but that's not what she wanted.  She proceeded to follow my hand back to my bag.  As I pulled away, the vendor came to my rescue:  "La La La!  (*&(^%*" he shouted,  (No, no, no! Scram!)  She darted off, joined by another young girl, no more than 12 or 13.  She flashed me a naughty grin. I said to the vendor, "Hard times", and started away.
       A ways down the street, still feeling shaken, a hand was held in front of me holding a bag of apples!  "Your apples, Miss..." said the vendor.  I smiled my thanks, and then continued home.  It was the first time I've cried in a while.  I cried about the kind vendor who had looked out for me.  I cried for the young girl who had learned to be so aggressive for reasons I could only imagine, and I cried, feeling lucky that given a situation like that, nothing worse had happened.  I had been a traitor to my instinct, which told me to refuse that girl.  What I had done was reinforce the very behavior I detested. I reviewed my lesson that day:  Trust yourself, and stand firm.  Be clear about your intentions and communicate them.  I'll know better next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment