Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Saturday morning

It's a beautiful, sunny Saturday morning.  I heard that Seattle is in the 60's, chance of showers...Now that does sound far away.  We're having continuing hot humid days.  My AC is not working again.  Power outage on our block due to broken transformer since Thursday.  This is the third day without AC. Our building generator keeps the lights and fridge running, but not enough power for AC.  Today is a national holiday because Pope Benedict is in town!  More to the point, the power repairmen are on strike.  We are told that we may be without AC for an indefinite amount of time.  As I sit here, I am comfy after a cool shower and towel off, but beginning to feel that trickle of moisture running down my front... oh well.  It's another hot day about to get hotter. This is how we NWesterners toughen up!

Did I tell you that Lebanese food is the healthiest food I've eaten?  Think about grilled veggies and meats, salads, fresh fruits (apples, grapes, oranges, pomegranates, pears), and nuts.  They don't mess them up with deep frying or coatings of flour.  Their foods are a sensory experience... tastes and smells of fresh lemon, mint, herbs... it's unbelievable.  We eat many legumes such as garbanzo beans and lentils.  Rice is everywhere.  Pita bread is eaten with hummus, and boy, is it good!  The more lemony, the more I like it.  Cheeses are prolific, everything from yogurt (labneh) to goat, sheep, and cow cheeses.  People prefer beer, wine, and fruit juices to milk.  You don't see anyone drinking milk, even at school, just bottled water.


I am about to brave the taxi world; told "Trust Taxi" is the one to call!  Before you get in the taxi, you negotiate the price.  Otherwise, you pay whatever the driver chooses.  I'm going to make arrangements for several of us to share the fare and go to Beirut's Costco, a new adventure. With the Pope in town, we may be told it's not possible.  Many streets are being closed this weekend for his security.  I don't really know where Costco is....  Wish me luck!  Phone calls can lead to adventure... I hope they speak EEngleesh!  Here's to You!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds perfect. Following your adventure. Food looks amazing. Jo

    ReplyDelete