Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First School Days

Today was my second half day with my new class; 21 4th grade students.  I said to them, "Tomorrow we'll start reading.  You may bring a book from home if you'd like.  First question:  "Ms. Carolyn, does the book have to be in English?"  I paused on that one. "Well Michael, that's the first time anyone has asked me that question.  I guess I'm not in Washington state anymore!"  We laughed.

The children are beautiful.  Their names are coming to me with practice: Kareem, Amer, Maher, Ramy, Ahmad, Mariam, Noorhan, Mouhib, plus Roy, Sam, Iman, Sarah, Alberto, Haruka, Michael, Kristoffer, and Stella.  I took photos of each child yesterday, and reviewed the pictures while walking about the desks, pronouncing their names.  I was all set for this morning, and everyone returned... wearing their new PE uniforms! Well, I want you to know that even with new clothes on, my homework paid off.  I knew EVERY name this morning!  It was AWESOME.

Did I tell you that our room is on the 4th floor, British system, 5th floor American?  that each floor requires two flights of stairs?  Kids and adults climb these stairs every morning.  I can assure you that since the copy machine is on the bottom floor, I think twice before I begin the upward haul.  My class messengers hold a position of highest esteem! We have half days with students this week, then parents coming in for 15-minute "Hopes and Fears" conferences in the afternoons.  Parents arrive shiny from the exertion, and it is HOT HOT HUMID outside.  Even though classrooms can close a door to the outside the world, covered  hallways and stairs are open air. Every classroom has 2 AC units run by remote control, as well as 3-4 ceiling fans with wall switches, remnants of an earlier era.  I use both!  Looking forward to cooler weather when this summer heat winds down.  In the meantime, we'll all be in better shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment