Saturday, May 24, 2014

It's only tea

Hilal passes out smiles and hot tea after swim
This message came to me tonight from Hilal, the swim friend who brings us that cup of hot tea after our swim.  He prepares it on his camp stove out on the rock; the best tea in Beirut! He says his secret ingredient is cardamon. But I know better. It's pure, simple, kindness.  His message:
Hi , I know it's Saturday it's only for tea with milk, but I want to tell you that we felt sad when we knew about your traveling , we spent with you a little time but believe me you entered our heart , you show us how lovely and friendly you are , it's life sweet and sour , little sweet make our life better , I wish you always be blessed by God , Thank you

How to reply? I was so touched. I tried. Today I think he and Beydoun waited for Ali, Ingrid and me, as they had finished their swim earlier. I wrote back: 

Dear Hilal, it's tea and so much more.  Sometimes you find yourself in amazing circumstances, with caring, thoughtful people, and there's so much joy.  Thank you for your tea and the kindness that comes with it.  I am heart broken about leaving, especially after discovering such a wonderful group of swimmers on the rocks.  I wonder Why now?  Why when leaving is so soon.  But it is wonderful, and I hope to join you and swim every chance I can. Your love for one another is a joy to behold, and a blessing that will go on and on. You chose to share with a stranger!  I am so grateful.
  
Thank you for your good wishes, Hilal. We have a lot of swimming and tea drinking to do!  
fondly, Carolyn

Happy Birthday!
Today on the rock, before our swim, there was a birthday cake complete with rousing chorus and clapping! Samir also brought special nut pudding for everyone in honor of his new baby grandson.  This group knows how to enjoy / uplift each other, and they do it every week. They celebrate life! And Hilal is always on hand with the steamy hot tea. These friends have taught me so much about love, friendship, and kindness. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment