Friday, November 9, 2012

Post Election thoughts

The Middle East heaved a sigh of relief over the election of President Obama. I voted for his opponent... but is this the place to admit that? (Yep, Karen, it's true! In Washington state I wouldn't advertise that too loudly...but I love you and my democrat friends dearly!)  My vote was based on economic issues that concern me deeply. I appreciate Obama's ideals, but I wonder how we can afford them.  My concerns come from watching California, my beloved homeland, go down the tubes economically, based on many factors... but if it can happen to California, a state of plenty, then why can't it happen to our country? I can't help thinking of that fable about the ant and the grasshopper... I voted Republican to make my stand for fiscal prudence and responsibility: Reduce the debt.  My poor kids may know me as a freak when it comes to my passion for being debt free and financially independent.  (When you see Erik, James or Kate,will you please give them hugs for putting up with me?!!)

Even as I write this admission, I'm wondering how "Republican" I am. The game has changed. Kate said to me, "Mom, the choice is about Social vs. Economic issues."  She could be right.  I chose economic. But I'd be the first one standing out on the street with my sign if ANYONE threatened to take away my right to choose... and I DON'T believe that ANY president or party has the power to take those rights away. Can you imagine the uprising that would take place in our country if ANYONE tried that?  I haven't voted social issues because I haven't seen the presidency in that light. But times change... issues change... and so must parties.  I guess I don't belong to a party, or maybe I'm looking for a NEW one!  Whatever happened to Ross Perot? (Oh my gosh, just kidding!)

It is true what you hear: The United States stands as "a Beacon of Hope" that shines out over the world.  It's been a tremendous privilege to be outside, looking in, seeing the election process in action. You can't help feeling proud to be an American.  When I asked my Lebanese friend about elections here, she confessed, "I don't even bother to vote; haven't for years!...so much corruption." Wow. When my students asked me who I voted for. I told them we have a "secret ballot", and that the best candidate would win, so here we are.
Congratulations Barack Obama, and Blessings on the U.S.A.!

Just returned tonight from my first ACS musical performance.  It wasn't Chris Harshman and the Jazz Band, that's for sure. I felt nostalgic, even disappointed at first until I opened my eyes and really looked at what was happening. It was a band made up of staff, students, and community members, playing and singing their hearts out!  I have to say that it was loud and louder, as everything is in Beirut, but joyful.  Brass, strings, and drum kit performed Summertime, Stevie Wonder's Deek Duke , and Duke Ellington's Greatest Hits. Performing Vivaldi were two string students plus teacher; the ACS orchestra!  Knights of the Radio, rock 'n roll group of 5 high school students, also made their debut. We couldn't make out the guitar riffs, or understand the lyrics, but it was amplified and they had the stage moves down.  Audience loved it.  My favorite was the high school girl accompanied by her friend on the piano singing Cohen's "Halleluia." It was lovely.  Found a version you might enjoy on You Tube: look for "Lind, Nilsen, Fuentes, and Holm."  Listening to versions of this song is keeping me up way past my bedtime!


When I left the auditorium, I felt that familiar "Show's over" feeling. I could've been anywhere in the states, but here I am in Beirut!

No comments:

Post a Comment